"Saving the world, one person at a time."

No Impact Man

   This may be my first log however, it isn't day one of my environmentally conscious journey.  I will try to catch you up.  Growing up there was plastic and aluminium recycling in my household.  We also had a dishwasher (saves more water than hand-washing).   Eventually my parents added the high-efficiency washer and dryer.  As a young adult, like many others I had to figure things out on my own.  Thank goodness I was born into the age of the internet.  First thing I noticed is that, my apartment complex did not have recycling bins next to the dumpster.  Since I grew up with putting my recycling out with the trash and it magically disappearing, I assumed having recycling bins was the norm.  I eventually learned my town did have a recycling center and I proceeded to drop it off there myself.  It also blew my mind to find out that my husband's family did not recycle.  They lived in Las Vegas!  In my mind, I thought all the major cities were "ahead of their time".  Here I was thinking my town was just behind...

   My eco-friendly journey really began around 2016.  It started with a book that came to be in my possession, No Impact Man by Colin Beavan.  Essentially, it was the journey of this man, his wife and their toddler.  They did a lot of drastic changes in less than a year to lower their carbon footprint as much as possible.  Let's just say, some of those changes were a lil' too drastic for the normal person.   Never the less, this man's journey is what really kicked my butt into gear.  His inspiration drove my design for my tiny home and now this blog.

   Unfortunately, at first I took his approach and went straight for drastic.  I told myself, I wouldn't buy anything that didn't have completely recyclable packaging.  I went into the grocery store so ready, and left empty-handed, crying.  Everything was covered in plastic wrap!  So I started slow.  I donated everything instead of throwing it in the trash.  I cut-up old clothing into kitchen rags.  I refused one-use plastics, etc.  I calculated my carbon footprint when buying things or going places.  I bought a hybrid vehicle.  I eat a vegan diet.  I made myself aware.

   Currently, I am working on starting a worm compost in my kitchen.   After some research, I bought a plastic compost bin and worms from Amazon.

   Red Wrigglers   

                                                                          VermiHut


   I just mixed the coconut coir, soil, and food scraps yesterday.  I can report that my living-room no longer smells of wet soil.  I'm so afraid of fruit flies but they can only show up if I don't do this properly.  If all goes well, I will no longer be contributing excessive methane from food decay, which is what happens to your food when you just throw it in your trash bag.  I will give you guys all the details why composting is important in my next informative post.  So keep an eye out!




Comments