"Saving the world, one person at a time."

Petition for Recycling

So, it's been a month.  It's not like nothing happened since last time I posted but I happen to be one of those peeps that doesn't do something unless it has an instant reward.  That sounds like the stereotyped "millennial".  I like to think I just need inspiration to work.  Not ideal for the world we currently have.

This post I'll talk about things that have happened in the last 2 months.  Little things accumulate.

I am proud to say that my campaign involving taking out my neighbor's recycling is going well.  (Check out my last blog post about it here)  I have three households that I know for sure are taking advantage of it.  Since I live right in front of the dumpster, I get to see all the people that still throw recycling in the trash, ugh.  Unfortunately my signs did not fare well in the rain.  I thought packing tape and plastic sheet protectors would work.  I have thought of making a simplified version in just black ink, 'cause it seems to be just the color ink that bleeds.  I also plan on asking the HOA if I can put my signs in the glass cased bulletin board next to the mailboxes.  I just don't know if anyone will look there.  I know I don't.

Speaking of the HOA, I have emailed them again this time stating that I got a quote from our dumpster services (3-5$ per household/month) and I am taking a petition around the complexes to get recycling/compost services.  They answered with this...

"This has been tried before, with Bestway and other providers, and discontinued because people fill the recycling containers with trash. There is also no room for a recycling bin to be placed. In addition, adding recycling without 100% participation means some folks are paying for recycling that don’t want it and/or don’t use it. That can be a serious point of contention. Recycling also increases the costs and is not a budgeted item."

SAD, right?  Thee worst excuses they could come up with.
  1. Yes, you have to pay extra for contaminated recycling.  It's still worth it, things that would normally go in a landfill will still get recycled.  They could easily make signs and email info.  They could even put it in their policies, making people liable.   
  2. You mean no room next to the dumpster.  No one parks in the back parking lot.  Put the recycling bin there.
  3. Recycling should be mandatory. Having people pay for something they don't do, gives incentive to start doing it.
After stating those facts, I once again have heard nothing from them for a month now.

As far as my petition goes, I have walked around one of the two buildings, my own.  8 out of 20 houses gladly signed it.  I only had one older lady say no.  Well, she didn't talk to me.  Her friend relayed her answer to me.  The rest of the people didn't answer the door.  I'm finding that my social anxiety is keeping me from finishing this petition.  I hope the next time I post, there will be more progress.  


I have tried to use my own to-go containers when we go out to eat.  I try to keep them and utensils in my car for those just-in-case spontaneous stops.  They're kinda like re-usable grocery bags... You forget to grab them or put them back in the car after you use them.  There was a time that we had the rare chance of driving past L&L Hawaiian BBQ.  Not really thinking about it, we ordered food there.  While waiting, it hit me.  This place ONLY serves food in Styrofoam.  I asked them if they would put my food in my containers.  They refused, saying it was against their health policies to take foreign containers to the back.  I've dealt with other places saying the same.  However, those places use actual dishware.  I can easily order to eat there and put the food in my container once the food comes to the table.  I realized as I left L&L that I can no longer eat there...unless of course they change their service.  It was more than a lil' disappointing when you have an empty stomach.


My dog, Milly, used to get raw meals shipped to our doorstep from a company called Ollie.  They would ship the food in hard plastic containers every month in a cardboard box lined with paper covered, compostable insulation and plastic covered, dry ice.  The company sent an email saying that our next package was to be more eco-friendly.  I was genuinely excited to see what eco-friendly innovations they would come up with.  The next month, they sent us double the amount of food, in smaller portioned plastic film packages, which equals more packages, in a cardboard box lined with plastic covered, compostable insulation and plastic covered, dry ice.  Literally the only thing that had been made more eco-friendly was they sent the food every 8 weeks instead of 4.  The plastic containers they used to put the food in was recyclable, now it wasn't.  The insulation cover used to be recyclable, now it wasn't.  I was flabbergasted.  Obviously, I have returned to canned food. 


Next, and last thing on the plate, I failed at adulting.  I put my queen sized comforter in my dryer and it melted.  *face palm*  I should have seen this coming.  So here I have a burnt comforter.
The old me would've just thrown it away, but this presented a new challenge for me.  How could I salvage this?  It was really only burnt in one corner.  The rest of it was perfectly fine!  Easy just cut the burnt parts away.
I plan on sewing the ends up.  The big bit can still be used as a blanket and the small bit is now apart of Milly's dog bed.  What do I do with the burnt pieces?  Also easy, compost them.
It just goes to show, a little effort can be so worth it.  That's all for now, until week, peace!

Comments