"Saving the world, one person at a time."

Zero Waste: Plastic Water Bottles


Ditch Plastic Water Bottles.  

   It's no wonder why this step is the first... I think everyone has a reusable water bottle or coffee cup.  The problem is finding the perfect one.  I just recently minimized my kitchen and I found I had 7 water bottles, not including my 3 camelbacks!  3 had a top that I could loop my finger in to carry.  2 could keep anything hot or cold for a whole day.  Only one had a good seal that didn't leak.  One had a wide enough brim for my dog, Milly, to drink from.  Unfortunately there wasn't one with all those qualities.  My point is there is no perfect water bottle.  It seems that once I bought one, a new shiny one was around the corner with a different feature.  My advice is to try to find one with the most qualities you desire and try not to accumulate numerous.  If that new water bottle definitely is better than the one you have, go ahead, get it but only if you plan on donating your old one.  

If your wondering, I use a great water bottle that I share with my dog that can be found at Petco.   



   Qualities to look for:
  • Fits in your car's cup holder
    • most cars have a standard diameter but not depth
    • measure or buy to find out
    • if it doesn't fit, return it
  • Insulated
  • Easy to Clean
    • straight up and down, no curves
  • Wide Brim for ice cubes...or dogs
    • also good for cleaning
  • Loop 
    • carrying 
    • attach to things like backpacks, etc.
  • Good Seal, No Leak
    • find out by buying or reading reviews
    • return it if it does, not worth the clean up
   Qualities that are overrated:
  • Pretty Decals
    • fade over time
  • See Through
    • your better off with insulated.  Those lines showing you how much water you drank are going to fade too.
  • Flip-up Tops
    • guaranteed to leak
   I'd like to touch on another thing that is farther down the zero waste timeline.  Free water bottles are always worthless.  They are usually cheap un-insulated pieces of plastic.  
Just Don't Take Them.  


Comments