"Saving the world, one person at a time."

Pay-As-You-Throw


I'm back from my vacation to Washington state!  I have loads to share as well.  I'm not going to lie it was hard to transition back to not only being vegan but also being environmentally responsible.

Before I left,  I attended one of Eco-Cycle's many events.  This one in particular was about PAYT, Pay-as-you-throw.  Basically, instead of paying for recycling and compost, you would pay for your trash.  The cool thing is, you pay for how much trash.  I'll elaborate later now about what that means. 
So at the moment, Denver residents only recycle/compost 22% of their waste.  It's supposed to be possible to get that number to 75% (50% compost, 25% recycling)  Many other cities already have PAYT implemented.  Here are the cities that are leading as examples with their recycling/compost waste rate:

1. Fresno, CA  71%
2. Seattle, WA  64%
3. Austin, TX  42%
4. Salt Lake City, UT  38%

Denver wishes to become 34% by 2020.

These are the rates that Loveland, CO is using for their PAYT
95 gallon bin (7-8 13 gallon trash bags) = $20 p/month
65 (4-5) = $13
35 (3-4) = $6.50
17 (1-2) = $3

The point is to increase incentive to recycle and compost.  Doesn't seem that bad, right?  At first, this all seemed like a common sense solution.  Then it dawned on me, what about the people that currently can't afford to have recycling/compost services?  Right now, trash services are payed for by businesses' taxes.  Why would low income families be ok with having to pay now?  More than likely those families would throw their trash into businesses' trash.  Sure, you could put a lock on your trash bin, but that doesn't stop them from leaving their trash next to it.  Eventually, someone is going to end up paying for it to be taken.

With more personal research, I found there is another PAYT method using specialized trash bags that are sold at local stores.  The city would then only take trash that is in those specialized bags.  In my opinion, this option seems more economic.  Let's say you have a 35 gallon bin, but come trash collection day, you have more or less than 35 gallons worth of trash.  Where does that extra trash go? Why would you want to pay more when you are throwing less?  Besides, everyone has to buy trash bags.  Why not, the cities?

Personally, I think making a city policy of having a recycling/compost next to every trash can is the second best option.  I think I'm going to be doing some more research about this and take it to my city counsel.  For example, my own condominiums dumpster is constantly being filled with recyclables.  I plan on messaging my HOA about getting a recycling service, but for the time being, I have decided to extend my hand to my neighbors.  I have access to the military base's recycling center right next door so I figured it shouldn't be to difficult.  I might put a couple tubs out.  Hopefully the HOA doesn't pitch a fit over that.  I made a poster that I will put on our dumpster door pointing people in our direction and stating information about what is considered recyclable.  Even I need reminding.  I'll use the same one I have hung up by my recycling in my kitchen.  Cross your fingers for me!

I recently found a recyclable sorting game!  It's customized for Denver, but I think it's a great eye-opening tool.  Check it out here: https://eco-cycleco.recycle.game/

I still have so much more to talk about, but I think I will save it for my next weekly update.  Until next time, Stay Green!

Comments