"Saving the world, one person at a time."

Taking Out My Neighbor's Recycling


 On Earth Day, I took my trash out.  It had been awhile since this had to be done because we've been so conscious about everything we toss in the trash.  Our community dumpster was oooooooverflowing.  There were trash bags stacked on the side of the dumpster.  I looked at the dumpster and there were two very large cardboard boxes sitting in it.  I had recently gone to an Eco-cycle event, teaching us how to talk to people door-to-door.  During that event, someone spoke out about how they had offered to their neighbors to use their compost bin.  In that moment, looking at those cardboard boxes, I had an idea.  This was a regular occurrence, recyclable items in our dumpster.  I can understand why.  Our HOA doesn't provide recycling.  We take ours to the recycling center on the military base next door.  However, not everyone living in my community is military or veterans (who have access). 

My idea was simple.  I would put a sign up telling my neighbors to drop off their recyclables at our doorstep, set up sorted boxes so it doesn't look like a bunch of trash in front of our door and warn/plead to our HOA about the recycling issue.  No response from the HOA, yet.  I assume it's because recycling services cost $$$$ and I'm free.  I was going to use my own plastic tubs but my brother accidentally took both sets of the keys to work at the time.  Fortunately, we have a lot of military move in and out and someone left a bunch of huge card board boxes stacked to the ceiling by the garages.  Talk about recycling!  I just hope "Ponder" has moved out and won't be needing these boxes.    

These are the signs I put on our communities dumpster door.


The boxes I set up outside our door.
 

It's been 5 days since I set this all up.  So far, instead of putting their recycling in the dumpster they are setting it outside of it.  I begrudgingly took the recyclables and organized them into the boxes.  I had to tell myself that I can't expect people to have their own recycling set up over night.  People have busy lives.  At least, I planted the seed that had them think and change in some way.  That's all I can ask, right?  I've thought about putting out another sign, asking for them to bring it to my doorstep.  I think I will wait to do that, maybe a month.

The sad part is, we are going to be moving to Washington state within the next few months.  Who will take out their recycling then?  

The happy part about moving to Washington is I got accepted to Evergreen State College!  Evergreen has a masters program for environmental studies.  They are truly unique as they don't use the average grading system or teaching methods.  It's either a pass or fail, where the teachers give each student a narrative about what they think you did well and could improve on.  It also integrates subjects together instead of having separate classes.  I find that aspect awesome but I also wish there were separate classes along with it.  I don't want to learn about the philosophy of religion using art.  I want to learn ALL of philosophy.  I'm just sick of being forced to cram for tests and write papers.  I don't learn anything from that.

The Eco-cycle workshop I spoke of earlier, at first seemed like I wouldn't get anything out of it.  Their way of talking to people door-to-door was, in my opinion, counterproductive.  Their goal was to spread the word about PAYT (Check out my post about PAYT).  Their approach was to ask people what they are concerned about and how they would improve their life.   What does that have to do with PAYT?!  I understand, that you are trying to create a relationship.  Great ideas can come from people that don't have to the ability to get their ideas out there.  Personally, if a stranger put me on the spot like that, making me think like that, I more than likely won't provide a good answer.  Their next thing was to ask people, "If they made a meeting to bring people in the community together, would you attend?".  Me, no.  I want to be able to do things from the convenience of my home via computer.  Further more, if someone doesn't answer the door (me sometimes), they don't even leave a pamphlet of info.

I did get ideas from the workshop at least.  I thought, "What is my goal".  I want to know why people don't recycle, compost or use public transit.  I want to know their feelings/worries about PAYT.  I want to teach people how they can be part of the solution.  I imagined, if someone were to come to my door, what would make me respond the way I want others to respond.  Which is basically, answer my questions lol.
This is how I will run through going to someone's door.

  1.  Ring doorbell, Knock on door
    1. b. if no answer, leave informational leaflet
  2.  Introduce myself.
    1. "I am Dee Schnur with Campaigning for Our Planet.  Would you be willing to answer 5 survey questions?
  3. They say no
    1. Thank them and ask to give them leaflet. 
      1. If they refuse, put it in their mailbox when they arn't looking ;)
  4. They say yes
    1. Do you recycle?
      1. No: What keeps you from doing so? Would you like resources?
      2. Yes:  Thank them. What do you recycle? How do you wish it could be done?
    2. Do you compost?
      1. No: What keeps you from doing so?  If there was services available, would you use them?  Would you like resources?
      2. Yes:  Thank them.  What system do you use?  If there was services available, would you use them?
    3. Do you use public transit?
      1. No: What keeps you from doing so?
      2. Yes:  Thank them.  How do you wish it could be better about it?
    4. What are your feelings/worries about PAYT?
      1. you'll more than likely have to explain PAYT 
    5. Would you go to a workshop on how you can better save the planet?
    6. Tell about blog and give leaflet
I think next on my to-do list is make an informational leaflet.  I'm thinking of maybe digging up paper from the recycling bin that only has on side used.  I am open to anyone's opinion on how to better my process of going door-to-door.  Feel free to leave a comment.
 Until next week, Peace!

Comments